"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
~ T.S. Eliot
"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

Friday, January 7, 2011

Becky's in Hospice

My friend Becky has inoperable brain cancer. I knew this day would come , and now it’s here. She’s under the care of hospice, which means she’s thought to have less than six months. Her brother-in-law told my mom it’s probably less. It won’t be long now.
Becky is a banker. She worked for a large national bank, and most members of my family did our banking there. She is beautiful, medium tall, slender, with black hair and dark eyes and creamy skin. She could have been a model. Her voice is the softest, sweetest voice I have ever heard, but she sounds like she knows her business, too. Becky’s religious faith is an important part of her life. She has taken this with such grace, saying she knows where she is going.
Becky is also one of the kindest people I have ever known. I’ve been down and out in the past and she has always been there for me. When she left the large bank for a small community bank, my mother left and followed her. Becky did all the work to get my mom’s automatic deposits and debits transferred. And she is just simply a friend. She has one grown son and a step-daughter who love her. Everyone who knows her loves her. But today, she is in hospice.
I’ll talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment