"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
~ T.S. Eliot
"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Little Bird


Little Bird
Kasey Chambers



A little bird once told me all the same things that he told Kasey Chambers: "If I hold my breath and do everything right, you might come back." Yes, if I just change and stop being me, he might come back and love me. If I only I had those breast implants, if I just "don't make a scene," "if I color my hair and I wear it down," "if I do not cry," "if I keep my opinion under my breath," "if I burn my records and listen to yours"...if I "look like the other girls."

If only Kasey's single Little Bird had come out that year. My heart smiles when she sings out, "But I don't want you that bad."

I was even told that if I voted Republican, I could come home, but I didn't want to go home that bad. Even if I had wanted to vote Republican, which I did not, I couldn't have gone home under those conditions. Sell my vote for you? No. I don't want you that bad.

Oh God, how I loved that man, I never really got over the break in my heart from so many years ago. It still aches. He got over it just fine, but not me. I really tried to make myself over UP TO A POINT.  But like it says in "Don't think twice, it's all right," "I gave him my heart, but he wanted my soul." But I didn't want him that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment