"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
~ T.S. Eliot
"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Michelle Robinson Obama, Happy Birthday



Our First Lady Michelle Obama is a strong, tall, beautiful black woman. Her causes are childhood obesity, proper diet, and the welfare of military families. She has become a fashion icon, and a quiet, dignified role model.

Michelle Robinson was so bright that she, like her older brother, skipped second grade. When she graduated at the top of her class, she went off to Princeton. She didn't need affirmative action to get in because she was truly an outstanding young woman. After Princeton, she attended Harvard Law School and received her law degree. Michelle Robinson Obama is one of the creme de la creme of American citizens.


I posted Michelle's picture on my Facebook page today and wished her a happy birthday. She is 48 years old today. Lots of my friends liked the photo of this gorgeous woman, but one person had something unkind to say. It's my page and my tribute to the First Lady, so I removed this remark. It didn't fit in. If you want to throw off on Michelle Obama, do it on your page. Leave mine unmarred.

My initial post had said to Mrs. Obama, "You are much beloved." The offensive comeback said, "Much beloved - NOT." It started me thinking. It's okay to not like Mrs. Obama, but what would make a person put the emotion behind stating it that way on someone else's page? What's there not to like? What is there to create animus?

And then a second, an ignorant right wing nut from my old backward hometown, saying that Mrs. Obama is "as nutty as a fruit cake." What's nutty about supporting military families or wanting to educate the public to avoid childhood obesity? This on my page's tribute to the First Lady.

I can think of only one thing that Michelle has ever done that would engender anger or hatred. She was born black in America. That is why I deleted the comment. I think the comment was motivated by race. There is something about this beautiful, regal black woman that some white people hate. Every fiber of my being rejects this kind of thinking. It's unChristian and unAmerican.

I am proud of my First Lady, Michelle Robinson Obama. She is the most beautiful and regal first lady since Jacqueline Kennedy. What class she has! Oh to be half that beautiful and half that smart! And she is beloved to me.

All I wanted to do was to post a tribute to this woman on her birthday. What would make someone who disagreed not just keep their mouth shut and stay out of it? Why rain on my parade? I think you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment