"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
~ T.S. Eliot
"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Elizabeth Milby Massey

Elizabeth Milby Massey of Shackelfords, Virginia, and her seven children. I met her at Christmastime, a very long time ago during my hippie days, and I loved her instantly. She loved me back and never judged me; that would not have been in her nature as a true follower of the teachings of Jesus. She was for some years my mother-in-law, and we never had even one moment of tension between us. 

After that, she remained my dear friend with a special place in my heart. That place has not been filled since she left us, and will never be filled. But I know that what I feel must pale in comparison to some of the others in her family. I have never known anyone more loved and respected by generation after generation than she was - and is. 

Merry Christmas, Elizabeth! I love you and miss you. I miss the smiles and laughter, the children playing, your kindness and grace, and the delightful meals, feasts really, maybe especially the oyster dressing, at Thanksgiving and Christmas in the warmth of your home.



Elizabeth, front and center, beautiful to the end.

1 comment:

  1. I want readers to know that I received many comments and phone calls from family who were so happy to see this at Christmastime, but who wanted understandably to comment privately. I love you all, too.

    ReplyDelete