"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
~ T.S. Eliot
"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Shopaholic

Oh, dear. I saw THEM yesterday. The boxes. I went into my attic to retrieve a bouquet of silk daffodils, can't bring the real ones into the house because the cats try to eat them, to place in a vase on the kitchen table. When I reached the top of the stairs I saw the boxes. They took me back to late November and early December when I became, temporarily, a compulsive internet shopper. A shopaholic. Yes, it was bad. Very bad. But it's okay if you laugh at me. I am laughing at myself. And I'm okay now.

Lenox Autumn
It all started because I had only four incomplete place settings left in the china pattern I had chosen when I was eighteen years old, plus it just wouldn't do anymore. It no longer was me. And, although I  am ashamed to admit it, I felt a twinge of self-pity for reaching this age, this stage of my golden years, and not having a complete set of lovely, gracious china to hand down like all of my friends. Whether I needed it or not. So I ordered a brand new set, eight place settings, of a gorgeous pattern of fine china from Lenox. It's predominately blue and off-white but contains small touches of red, yellow, and green, and it is called Autumn. I wanted to be economical, so I ordered several serving bowls and platters in a less expensive co-ordinating solid color design from another company. I was so proud of myself for that cost-saving move. But then, I liked that design so much that I just had to order a mini-set, place settings for two, in the dishes in that pattern. I love the cups. Somehow this had flipped a switch in my brain, and I could not stop, didn't even think of stopping.

I ordered a lovely tablecloth from Macy's, with matching napkins, of course, and then a Christmas centerpiece of live greenery from L.L. Bean in Maine. And then I thought about my everyday dishes. Were they complete? Did they need attention? Yes, they did. I didn't have a gravy boat. Oh, no. So I ordered one. The small, nice regular cups and saucers I have had for years, but I had no mugs, nothing you could get a good, hefty cup of coffee in on a lovely winter morning. And that was remedied. I ordered eight mugs. I had to rid myself of several old mugs to make space for them in the cabinet. Well, for seven of them. One still won't fit, so I just use at least one at all times.

Next, I ordered a new coffee maker, a grand machine that grinds the beans and then makes the coffee all in one. It is still in the box in the attic. I already have a coffee grinder. I already have a coffee maker. This was pure shopaholic behavior. Still, it could have been worse. I almost chose one of those new-fangled Tassimo gourmet single-cup brewing systems that makes one cup at a time of a variety of beverages from K cups, little packets, of expresso or whatever you desire. I resisted this coffeebot, but instead I ordered a separate expresso machine. It is still in the box in the attic.

Well,  I now needed new demitasse cups and saucers for the espresso. In my new china pattern they were $100.00 for each cup and saucer. I may have gone slightly mad, but not that mad. I wasn't about to spend $800.00 on expresso cups. My old ones wouldn't do (they weren't me anymore), so I searched high and low until I found the perfect cups, simple lines and soft white in color. I ordered a set of eight. When they arrived, one saucer was broken. I called the vendor. They told me not to return anything and that they would send me a replacement. I thought they meant they'd replace the saucer, but in a few days, a whole nother set of 8 cups and saucers arrived, so now I have service for fifteen. This box is not in the attic; it is unpacked, and the cups are in a kitchen cupboard that I have to stand on something to reach.

Espresso Spoons
Of course, everyone knows you can't use regular-sized spoons with demitasse cups, right?  I had to order a set of expresso spoons. Eight of them. So I was all set for expresso, but what about other beverages? Over the years, all of my crystal has been broken, and I suddenly felt the great loss. And how would my beautiful new china look with my everyday glassware? I ordered from Lenox fine white wine glasses, red wine glasses, champagne glasses, water glasses. Being a good Southerner, I even found iced tea glasses. Some of the wine glasses fit into my china cabinet in the dining room, but there is not a square inch of space left in the kitchen for anything else. I WILL figure out something! You can bet on that. Most of the beautiful new glasses? They are in their boxes in the attic.

At this point, my mother held a one-person intervention and brought me down to earth. (She still doesn't even know about the coffee and expresso makers yet.) She asked me to promise to stop buying. I couldn't say no. I promised her that my shopping spree was over as of that moment. And it was. Not that I haven't ordered anything, but I haven't bought too much of anything since I made that promise to my mother. I have shopped like a normal person would. Mostly.

You see, I hate to shop. I have never liked "going shopping" like some of my friends do.  I would go if I knew what I was going for, but to go to a mall and just wander through the stores and shops, maybe try on a few things, hoping you come across something you like, well, I get bored with that in ten minutes and am ready for the food court.

But then I learned about Zappos.com. I found I liked getting all my shoes by shopping on the internet. If you are a Zappos VIP customer, you get overnight delivery and free delivery. If you don't like them or they don't fit, there's free shipping for your no-hassle return. I may have overdone the shoes a bit, but that's been under control for months. I'm doing fine. Then I tried sweaters, blouses, slacks, from all my favorite vendors or makers and found that I loved it. Even for intimate apparel.

I just bought a new carpet sweeper online. It came yesterday, but I haven't had time to unpack and use this new wonder machine that's designed especially for homes with pets and pet hair. With black as my favorite color for clothing and two predominately white cats and a long-haired white dog, this vacuum could be a godsend. And I bought a bicycle tire pump online. Reputable companies always accept returns and give full refunds without batting an eye. And UPS or FedEx brings it right to you door. Many companies offer free shipping. It's just too easy for people like me

So, I'm trying to shop only for what I really need. I like shopping on the internet. It is great fun. But I am trying to avoid any more spending sprees like the one before Christmas, although I have to say I love that china and tablecloth and am thankful to have them. Oh, the digital meat thermometer. I forgot to tell you about my digital meat thermometer. But really, I'm cured. I don't think I'll ever do that again. I have nowhere to put another thing and no more spending money.  Check back with me in six months. I promise I will be able to tell you I've been good. Someday I may tell you about the rug....

No comments:

Post a Comment