"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
~ T.S. Eliot
"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

Friday, March 11, 2011


Today would be the 66th birthday of my precious cousin Linda. She passed away when she was 58. She died alone, in her bed, surrounded by her high school yearbooks and the papers showing her purchase of her burial plot next to her parents. There was no autopsy. She suffered greatly from clinical major depression and was on disability because of this. This photo shows Linda, second from the right, on her 50th birthday, which she celebrated by traveling by train with her friends Diana and Debbie, from the left, to Washington, DC. For fun, they dressed up in hats and gloves, like back in the day, for the train trip from Richmond. I was graced by their presence at my apartment on Capitol Hill, and we did the town - the mall, the monuments, the Viet Nam Memorial, the museums, Georgetown, Dupont Circle. And the pubs. That's me on the right in the picture. It was 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment