"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
~ T.S. Eliot
"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

Sunday, July 7, 2013

"I do not like your Christians"

I was raised in a southern Independent Baptist fundamentalist church, too conservative to be a part of the Southern Baptist Convention. I can tell you from my church and others that we associated with that what my friend who was a psychiatric resident at UNC Memorial Hospital in Chapel Hill in the early 70's said to me is true: The most mentally sick people in America are the Christian fundamentalists. It was true 40 years ago, and it is true now. Even Barry Goldwater tried to warn of the dangers of Protestant conservatives. I myself even wrote a letter to the Catholic William F. Buckley in the early 80's trying to convince him that he did not realize the poisonous nature of the snakes he was beginning to build a relationship with. Crazy, crazy, crazy. Beat your wife and children, get drunk, pay prostitutes, cheat on your taxes, screw your best friend's wife, hate "the Blacks," Catholics, and Jews, and then show up on Sunday morning with a smile on your big, fat, redneck face like you are a true follower of Jesus Christ. I love Jesus Christ, but I agree with Gandhi, who said, "I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment